This is a great opportunity for an experienced Software Engineer to join our rapidly expanding satellite communications company at a crucial stage of its development. Satellite and Space Communications is a broad subject with engineering applications across a wide field including, for example; health, agritech, aviation, earth observation and environmental monitoring, digital media, maritime communications and monitoring, science exploration, security, and much more. Goonhilly Earth Station Ltd is a world leading satellite & space communications company, with mechanical, civil, electrical, satellite communications and other engineering specialisms, located at the UK’s southern-most point.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Software Engineer (permanent and 1 year fixed term available) to work closely with the rest of our engineering team on ongoing and upcoming projects, identify problems and propose solutions, develop and maintain software systems to underpin and support our fast-growing ground segment communications operations. In addition the role will also establish software engineering best practice across the company, designing and implementing processes to improve the efficiency of our operations and service development.
Our employees enjoy a wide range of challenges and developments offered at Goonhilly and are keen to jump in and help colleagues wherever needed. We are looking for candidates who are good team players, willing to be flexible and support a wide variety of activities, as required.
We offer a competitive salary with potential to expand in a rapidly growing and exciting company, with opportunities for training.
The role is based at Goonhilly Earth Station, near Helston or at the Farnborough office, with occasional travel between sites, nationally and internationally.
Please specify in your cover letter whether you are applying for Helston or Farnborough, and whether you’re interested in the permanent or fixed term role.
The role will include the following responsibilities:
- Work closely with engineering teams, internal and external customers to understand problems and opportunities.
- Design and propose solutions in compliance with customer requirements.
- Develop and implement efficient and dependable solutions.
- Maintain, debug and extend operational systems.
- Work as part of varied sizes of teams of varied disciplines.
- Assist with development of project budgets and schedules.
- Establish and follow software engineering best practices.
- Ensure that relevant documentation and training material is produced and maintained.
- Report and review project work and progress.
- Carry out any other reasonable duties as assigned by manager.
- At least 3 years recent experience of Software Engineering in layers including user interfaces, core logic processes, and network interfacing.
- Familiarity with the use of software version control tools.
- Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills.
- Good planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Good verbal, written communication and presentation skills.
- Self-motivated, willing and able to take initiative.
- Ability to work in and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work flexibly and co-operatively with others to understand requirements, complete tasks and assist end-users.
A knowledge of some or all of the following is desirable:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electronics, or similar technical field.
- Experience of front-end web development.
- Experience of Unix/Linux systems.
- Experience of low-level network protocol development.
- Experience of real time embedded systems
- Experience of CI/CD processes.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office packages.
Closes 7th April 2019.