This is a great opportunity for an experienced FPGA Engineer to join our rapidly expanding satellite communications company at a crucial stage of its development. Satellite and Space Communications is a broad subject with engineering applications across a wide field including, for example; health, agritech, aviation, earth observation and environmental monitoring, digital media, maritime communications and monitoring, science exploration, security, and much more. Goonhilly Earth Station Ltd is a world leading satellite & space communications company, with mechanical, civil, electrical, satellite communications and other engineering specialisms, located at the UK’s southern-most point.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated FPGA Engineer to expand our skillset in ongoing and upcoming projects. These projects will involve working closely with other members of our engineering team to plan, develop, and implement system designs, identify problems, propose solutions, and develop innovative techniques and processes. Projects may include application areas such as RF signal processing, digital modems, and data compression, in ground and space segment systems.
Our employees enjoy a wide range of challenges and developments offered at Goonhilly and are keen to jump in and help colleagues wherever needed. We are looking for candidates who are good team players, willing to be flexible and support a wide variety of activities, as required.
We offer a competitive salary with potential to expand in a rapidly growing and exciting company, with opportunities for training.
The role is based at Goonhilly Earth Station, near Helston or at the Farnborough office with occasional travel between sites, nationally and internationally. Employment can be permanent or 1-year fixed term.
The role will include the following responsibilities:
• Work closely with engineering teams, internal and external customers to understand problems and opportunities.
• Design and propose solutions in compliance with customer requirements.
• Develop and implement innovative and efficient solutions.
• Maintain, debug and extend operational systems.
• Work as part of varied sizes of teams of varied disciplines.
• Assist with development of project budgets and schedules.
• Establish and follow best practices.
• Ensure that relevant documentation and training material is produced and maintained.
• Report and review project work and progress.
• Carry out any other reasonable duties as assigned by manager.
• Experience of major vendor FPGA design and synthesis
• Experience in DSP algorithm development & FPGA implementation.
• Knowledge of RF engineering and signal processing fundamentals
• Familiarity with the use of software version control tools.
• Basic application software programming skills
• Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills.
• Good planning, organizational and time management skills.
• Good verbal, written communication and presentation skills.
• Self-motivated, willing and able to take initiative.
• Ability to work in and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
• Ability to work flexibly and co-operatively with others to understand requirements, complete tasks and assist end-users.
A knowledge of some or all of the following is desirable:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electronics, or similar technical field.
• Experience of RF modem design and implementation
• Knowledge of CCSDS / DVB Modulation & Coding standards
• Experience of electronics, schematic design and PCB layout.
• Experience of CI/CD processes.
• Experience of Linux/Unix platforms.
• Proficient in use of Microsoft Office packages.
How to apply:
No agencies, please.
Please send your CV, a letter of application describing your suitability for the role, demonstrating how you match the person specification, your preference regarding location and nature of contract and using job reference “FPGA3” via email to recruitment [at] goonhilly [dot] org (preferred), or to:
Goonhilly Earth Station Ltd
Helston, TR12 6LQ
We aim to evaluate all applications as soon as possible after the closing date and will inform all applicants of the outcome. We reserve the right not to appoint, to change the specification based on applications received or to re-advertise. GES Ltd is an equal opportunities employer.
Employment is subject to pre-employment checks and agreement to our employment contract.