This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced candidate to join our rapidly expanding satellite communications company. We are at a crucial stage of growth and require a confident, versatile and experienced IT Systems Manager to work proactively with our team on a number of projects.
We are seeking a motivated and versatile IT Systems Manager to join a high-achieving team at Goonhilly Earth Station Ltd who manage and maintain computing resources and related IT hardware and infrastructure across our growing company.
The role will include the following responsibilities:
- To build and manage a centralised computing platform for company internal use. To be based on VMWare, Windows Server and Active Directory
- Develop IT policies to meet business needs and statutory requirements
- Develop and Implement IT policies across the business and advance IT accreditation
- Apply central control of updates to operating systems, anti-virus software and application software
- Implement a backup strategy to ensure security, integrity and restoration of company data/information
- Manage and maintain computers (workstations and servers) and related IT hardware
- Provide hands on support to staff in the installation, configuration and use of hardware and application software
- Provide and maintain external customers computer facilities, networks and interfaces in line with service agreements
- Maintain records of IT equipment configuration and deployment
- Maintain records/logs of incidents, root causes, lessons learned and corrective actions
- Provide IT support for events, training courses and conferences held on site
- There may be the opportunity to participate in a shared 24 hour on call rota
- To undertake any other responsibilities as required for the role.
- Proven experience as an IT Specialist or similar relevant position
- Flexible, internal and external customer-facing approach
- Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills
- In depth understanding of Microsoft Operating Systems, (desktop and server)
- Ability to configure and manage VM environment using VM Ware and Active Directory
- Good knowledge of IT security and data privacy principles
- Experience in development of and compliance with IT policies
- A positive thinker and take a proactive approach in finding solutions
- Good communication, customer liaison and interpersonal skills at all levels
- Be flexible and enthusiastic
- A degree (or equivalent) in Information Technology or other related subject
- Industry certifications and memberships
- Basic knowledge of networking including switches, routers and firewalls
- Experience in a high availability IT environment
- Experience with data centre operations
- Experience of delivering IT systems towards relevant ISO requirements
- Some knowledge of Apple, Unix/Linux systems advantageous
Goonhilly Earth Station Ltd (GES) acquired the world-famous Goonhilly Satellite Station in 2014. It is an independent, privately-owned SME providing a complete range of satellite communications services and growing an ever wider range of space and data related services.
GES clients include some of the largest global satellite operators. Working alongside ESA, GES is developing the world’s first private Deep Space Communication system. GES also has close relationships with a wide range of leading universities including Oxford, Manchester, Leeds, Southampton, Durham, Herts to enhance UK capabilities in Radio Astronomy.
GES has been awarded Enterprise Zone status as part of the expanded Newquay Airport Aerohub Enterprise Zone.
The Goonhilly infrastructure includes 24/7 operations, diverse power, connecting a wide range of antennas.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.