Satellite Communications is a broad subject with applications across a wide field including, for example; health, agritech, aviation, earth observation and environmental monitoring, digital media, maritime communications and monitoring, science exploration, security, and much more. Goonhilly is an ideal location to encourage new businesses to research, develop and innovate new technologies, solutions and services that can take advantage of these emerging satellite applications.
We are seeking a motivated, versatile and capable Satellite Communications Engineer who can join a high-achieving team at Goonhilly Earth Station Ltd to help us deliver our vision of creating a Space Science Park at Goonhilly.
The role will include the following responsibilities:
• To help set up and undertake tests of process equipment and interpret data through calculation and assessment.
• To diagnose and detect faults and implement procedures to resolve & maintain efficient operations.
• To plan and maintain maintenance logs/routines.
• To co-ordinate resources (internal and external) to maintain and improve Goonhilly Earth Station’s existing and new assets from an engineering perspective.
• To direct junior technicians and apprentices to meet the site’s engineering objectives.
• When requested, to authorise modest spend to enable efficient, cost effective engineering activity.
• To research and provide recommendations to Senior Management for more significant spend and business improvement options.
• To manage, train and ensure Health and Safety compliance of new staff and apprentices on site as may be taken on from time to time and as directed.
• To provide reports and updates on project activity as may be requested.
• To maintain their own professional training to a required standard to complete agreed tasks through line manager.
• To undertake anything within their capabilities and training that the business need dictates.
• To act as a positive, external ambassador for the company.
• To report to the designated line manager unless otherwise directed.
• To participate in a shared 24hr on-call rota
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.
All of our staff enjoy the wide range of challenges and developments at Goonhilly and are keen to jump in and help colleagues wherever needed. We are looking for candidates who can be flexible and prepared to help in different areas as required, as part of the GES engineering team.
Our ideal candidate will have experience working in an operational satcoms environment, but experience in related fields may be considered.
Qualifications and Skills required
• Qualified to degree level in a related Technical or Engineering subject
• Experience working in an operational satcoms environment
• Experience with iDirect VSAT network systems
• HNC or equivalent in a related technical or engineering subject
• Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills
• Experience working in an operational/maintenance environment in a related discipline
Candidates must demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly and accurately in both verbal and written form, have an excellent and professional manner and presence with people.