Welcome to Software Cornwall's event calendar, here you can find out about upcoming educational, networking and conference events being run by our members and the community.
If you would like to list your event please join Software Cornwall. Register here for membership to create your login and join our community. If you have any issues adding your event please email email@example.com
Python Data Science For Kids – The Poly
Saturday May 4 @ 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Python Data Science for Kids – Free Taster Workshops
We’ll be holding free tutorial workshops across Cornwall introducing children to the Python programming language, using the Jupyter notebook, and working through simple data science projects – working with data, visualisation and using tools to extract insights from data – just like a proper data scientist.
Almost every facet of life creates data, from medical research to astronomy, from city planning to medical health data, from sales data to forensic evidence, from archeology to online discusssion about games.
The ability to extract useful information from the vast amounts of data is incredibly powerful. It can lead to breakthroughs in science, and deeper understanding of our history and environment. Businesses are eager to maximise their competitive advantage by better understanding data about their own processes, and the market they work in.
Data science – the combination of maths, coding, visualisation, data technology, and ideas from artificial intelligence – is a a valuable skill, in great demand and highly rewarded.
These workshops will provide a taster for doing data science with Python.
These workshops are aimed primarily at children aged 7 – 17.
Three levels of project will be provided:
* a gentle introduction for young or new beginners
* an interesting task for children with some coding experience
* an exciting astronomy themed challenge for more confident students with school-level science
Teachers and parents are also most welcome to join in and start to explore Python and Data Science.
No previous experience is required, and guidance will be provided for everyone. The aim is to leave with more than you came in with!
To ensure everything runs smoothly, please note the following:
* All children will need to be accompanied by parents / carers at all times.
* Please bring a fully charged laptop with working wifi and a modern browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari). Access to a power socket is not guaranteed.
* We have some spare laptops for use in these workshops for children that don’t have access to one – get in touch to reserve one.
* Each participant will need a Google Account. You can create one for free. There is no software to be installed.
* These are free workshops, there is no charge for attending.
* Water and some fruit will be provided at the workshops as a healthy refreshment.
If you have any questions, you can contact Tariq by email coderdojocornwall at gmail dot com.