Welcome to Software Cornwall's event calendar, here you can find out about upcoming educational, networking and conference events being run by our members and the community.
If you would like to list your event please join Software Cornwall. Register here for membership to create your login and join our community. If you have any issues adding your event please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- This event has passed.
(Cornwall) Creative Uses for Not-So-Random Noise
Thursday September 19 @ 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Randomness can be a very powerful creative tool. But sometimes we don’t want randomness to be .. quite so random.
That’s where noise can help.
In this beginner-friendly session we’ll –
* explore when we need not-so-random noise
* explore some simple creative applications, like textures
* try some slightly more more sophisticated ideas, like landscapes made of multi-frequency noise
* see how noise can be used to guide organic-looking motion for animated scenes
* and for those interested in the (school-level) maths, we’ll give an intuition of how noise is calculated
Noise became such a useful tool in visual effects industry that Ken Perlin, inventor of Perlin noise, was awarded the Academy Award for Technical Achievement in 1997.
We’ll be demonstrating the ideas primarily with p5js, and some with python.
This is talk rather than a hands-on tutorial so a laptop isn’t necessary for this session.
If you’d like to experiment during the session, bring a laptop with a modern browser and working wifi as most of the examples will be using openprocessing.org.
The session starts at 6.00pm and you can arrive a few minutes before this.
Car parking is free in the evening in some of the local council car parks including Garras Wharf car park.